Wednesday, September 3, 2008

American River Rafting

On Monday Ryan and our friends went river rafting on the south fork of the American River. The group included us, Matt and Kelly, Tani, Andy and Matt's friends Cameron and Rebbecca. Cameron is a river guide so he took one boat and Matt took the other boat. We had a blast! I would go over and over again if we had our own raft! Matt did great guiding his own boat and this was his first time ever! Good job Matt!!! The rapids that we went through were class 3. I thought they were pretty crazy so I can only imagine larger rapids! There were lots of rapids but the two largest were called Satan's Cesspool and Hospital Bar. Who named these rapids? Satan's Cesspool??? I'm not going to repeat some of the jokes that were made about the name! Any who, we lost Andy several times during the first few rapids. At one point he grabbed onto the side of his boat and almost was crushed between a rock and the raft. It was tense for a minute there! Luckily Andy was ok! The second crazy big rapid, Hospital Bar, ended up knocking Ryan off the raft. I had fun until the point that I realized he was half way out of the boat. I grabbed on to his wrist with a death grip and held him for a second but then let him go because I didn't want him to get smashed in case we hit a rock. So he ended up floating safely out and was picked up by Matt's boat. At the end of they day we all realized that we are now addicted to rafting and are now planning our next trip before it gets too cold!

At the sight of the two biggest rapids there were photographers who captured several shots of us. The only pictures I have so far are of one raft with Ryan and I. I'll post the other boat's pictures soon.


*A quick disclaimer... I know you are all jealous of my super cool yellow sunglasses!








5 comments:

Whit and Steve said...

Looks like fun!! I've been rafting a few times, and have fallen out at least twice... I think those might have been the the scariest moments of my life.. I'm glad everyone is safe and ok. I miss you!! We need to talk soon!!

Jenner said...

SO FUN! one of my fav trips of my life was WWrafting down hells canyon in idaho with my dad and uncles for 5 days. so fun.

Jennifer, Nate and Braden said...

Wow- so much fun! Those are some great pics! You guys look like pros!

D and J Larson said...

I'm glad you are doing well Ryan... It's been a long time! Julie Watkins...

2MyGirls said...

Fun! Greg and I had a blast when we went river rafting. I am jealous. I miss you too and we all missed you at the dance party. Ever since school started for Morgan and I, life has been super busy. I have a new cell phone number. I will call you tomorrow.