Friday, September 11, 2009

Major = Business; Emphases = ?

I was going to blog about our moving in experience, because it's a funny story, but Ashley has already started working on a post for that which you will see soon.

So I know I want to attend the Business school. I like business, it was fun doing the mortgage thing, but I don't know what my emphases should be in. Each Friday I attend a lecture series where a successful Marriott Alumni comes and speaks about their specific profession in the business industry. Hopefully this will help narrow it down for me, but in the meantime I need your help.

At BYU there is the Marriott School of Business. At the Marriott School of Business there are two options; the School of Accountancy, and the School of Management. (I am talking a business writing class, and we are studying grammar. This is the first time I have ever used a semicolon before in my life besides making a winking smiling person ;) via online, and no I obviously haven't done it since I met Ashley. I don't know if it's grammatically correct though) Under Management you have to choose an emphases of Finance, Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Global Supply Chain, Strategy, and Organizational Behavior/HR Management. So I created a poll to the right ----> in which I need you to suggest what emphases might give me the greatest, most unique set of skills, so I can make millions of dollars, buy an island and fly you all out to vacation with me. Next week I will reveal what I am leaning towards, and ofcourse this all depends on if I get into the dumb school or not!


Update: School is going great; Ashley is working hard on finding a job, and the reality of us living in Provo for the next couple years is starting to sink in. (How do you like that semicolon huh?)

7 comments:

Joe Mama said...

Ryan, I voted for Strategy because that sounds the most interesting. Plus, when you get a consulting job, you can hire me to be your assistant. This is what I think about the rest:

Accounting: I currently work with accountants here at E&Y. The partners make good money, but you'd have to work crazy hours during busy season. Working a ton of hours isn't bad; you just have to be ready for it.

HR Management: You don't want to have to be PC your whole career and listen to people complain about stuff, you'll tell them to toughen up, then you'll get fired.

Finance: I received my degree in Finance, so if you want to work in the stock market, or work heavily in sales that's a good place to go. There's also corporate finance, but all those jobs will be in India by the time you graduate.

Marketing: It's all sales, plus, those people always think they're more important than they really are.

Global Supply Chain: Great, if you want to move to China.

Joe

Andy Is Me said...

I vote entrepenuership - I mean, how hard is it to listen to a dozen ideas and think "these people are F-ing nuts, there's not way that's working..."

Of course, HP management would be rad - how could you go wrong telling people how to deal with their home runs??

Ashley and Ryan said...

Ryan, I choose Strategy because you were interested in it to begin with. Actually, I choose any of them so long as it lands you a good job that will get us out of Utah! Good luck! - Ashley

kathy waddell said...

G. PA SAYS STRATEGY! Grandpa thinks that you would be good at it. I have to agree with grandpa. But I'll take anything that will get me to that island.;) Kath

Greg said...

IMO, you should look at the Global Strategies angle. You like to travel to strange and uniques places (Utah), enjoy strategy (call of duty) and love exotic food (like fish with their heads still on). Also, if you live somewhere abroad we can bring our kids and leave them with you for a couple of months. Regardless, I am sure you will make the right decision.

Jennifer, Nate and Braden said...

I vote Finance or Strategy!

Jenner said...

I think you would be good at Marketing. I should know, I am married to a marketer.