Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Pig Roast

As many of you know this blog is primarily Ashley's (even though she updates it once a year). Well I am now taking over this blog because my business writing class requires I keep a weekly blog as part of the the course work. So be careful while leaving comments as my BYU professor may be reading them. Although he did say today that we could plagiarize if we wanted to burn in hell which I thought was pretty dang funny since I like to say that a lot, especially while giving lessons to the youth.

So for my first blog post I would like to share something I did two weekends ago. For those of you who don't know, our friends, (now old friends) threw us a going away party which included roasting a pig in the ground. It was probably one of the top 5 coolest things I have done so far in this life and I suggest everyone do it or at least come to one of our annual pig roasts in the future. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Here is the pit in which Wilbur cooked. Joe said he could dig it in 15 minutes but did not take into account he hadn't water his backyard since he bought the house so the dirt was more like a rock. It took him 3 hours to dig this.


This is Wilbur hanging out in Joe and Tiffany's fridge. I would not be surprised if Tiffany makes Joe buy a new fridge and put this one in the garage to designate it as the annual pig roasting fridge.



This is Wilbur right before Tim, came over to save the pig roast and show Joe and I how to make a pig roast rub.



Close up of Wilbur.


Wilbur wrapped in Banana leaves



Once Wilbur was in the ground it was cool how you could stand on top and barely feel the heat from the roaring 2000 degree coals below. It was pretty cool especially because I did not think this would work at all.


This is Tim, Kellie's dad, using his electronic thermometer to test if Wilbur was done. When the thermometer hit 170 degrees we leaped like school girls, as we were all nervous about the Wilbur cooking all the way.


Even though Matt Felt had been up for 96 hours straight, or close to that, he made an appearance and supervised Matt Jackson digging up the pig. I could be wrong but this may be the only picture of Jackson doing manual labor. Unfortunately Kellie couldn't make it due to Taylor not wanting to come out of her nice comfy home until she was forced out earlier that morning.



Joe and Tim working on getting Wilbur out of his nice steamy oven.



After we lost two of Wilbur's legs, Joe and Tim had to get creative and used cooking sheets to put under Wilbur for support so we wouldn't loose any other body parts.

Wilbur after we cut out about 1/2 of his meat.


If you are thinking to yourself that Wilbur must have been delicious, moist, and flavorful, then you are right. He was quite tasty and we are thankful to our friends for throwing us such an awesome going away party. We are also thankful for Taylor being born before we moved. So you can expect to check back once a week for an update. I hope all is well with everyone!

6 comments:

Talltiffany said...

I think it is excellent that you have to blog for homework. Man...maybe I need to go back to school. The pig roast was pretty successful, and it was a good send off. I wouldn't eat any leftovers though. There is still leftover wilbur in our fridge! We miss you guys.

Whit and Steve said...

How fun! We used to do pig roasts every year for the 4th of July when I was younger. So yummy! I'm glad you'll be updating weekly so we can see how you guys are doing in your new home! I hope you're enjoying school so far.

Jennifer, Nate and Braden said...

I am sorry but the close-up of Wilbur kinda freaks me out a little bit. I don't know if I could have eaten him. Looks like a lot of fun though!! Hope you guys are getting settled in Utah!! We love you and miss you!

By the way, it is pretty sweet that you get to write a blog for homework. I never had any cool assignments like that!

Andy Is Me said...

Dude, tell your "friends" that they absolutely would have eaten the pig - he was delicious and you couldn't tell the before from the after, since the after was like looking at wavy lines of awesome, similar to the 'ole Tex Avery cartoons of our youth... I mean... MY youth, you young bastard... One question though: I couldn't make the cut? Sheesh... you're right - now we are OLD friends... maybe even FORMER friends after that snub..

Jessica said...

Those pictures of Wilbur pre-roast are barfy. But, the party looks like a lot of fun!

Greg said...

Wow, that is 5 minutes of my life I'll never have back. Ash's stories are funnier. I'll check back when you post something interesting.